Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

jueves, 3 de octubre de 2013

Interview to Jeremy Lacy of DownShift Studio

Jeremy Lacy of DownShift Studio

Ver la versión en Castellano

Interview to Jeremy Lacy, founder of DownShift Stuido

For a while Jeremy is positioning as one of the most renowned illustrators in the world of two wheels. By means his new company "DownShift Studio", this Industrial Designer  creates new design concepts and if you want you can also count on their sketches.

Why you decided start to drawing sketches? 
"I’ve been drawing my whole life and always was drawing cars, motorcycles, jeeps from grade school on.  When I went to college I decided to take this passion and apply it to Industrial Design.  I’ve always ridden motorcycles but in the last 5 years I really began drawing them again.  I enjoy drawing very much and find it to be extremely relaxing."                                                   


What is your favorite kind of motorcycles?
"And the favorite motorcycle?  This is a good question.  I love so many different types of bikes, my favorites change with the wind.  I’d say I like standard style motorcycles the best because they are the most versatile.  Some find this boring but I like that I can own one bike and make it into anything I want.  Some of my all time favorite bikes are the first ’82 Katana 1000’s, I love all of the early Ducati Monsters, I would really like to own a ’77 Moto Guzzi Lemans 850 someday.  I also love most early 80’s muscle / sport bikes before they got covered with plastic (GPZ’s, GS’s, CB900ss."

What inspired you to create your sketches?  
"I think what inspired me to start sketching bikes again was when I started building my GPZ550 project and I wanted to figure some design elements out.  Since then I’ve been drawing as much as possible.  I love the form of bikes and the simplicity of their designs; they are just fun to draw."


What method do you use to create it?  
"I use many methods to create my sketches.  Drawing using a sharpie marker on sketch paper is the most freeing but I really like to integrate technology into my process.  I usually draw either on my iPad using a Wacom Intuos Stylus and when I want to do more detailed work I will draw using my desktop computer, a Wacom Cintiq and Sketchbook Pro.  Sketching digitally is fun because you have a whole studio worth of tools digitally.  I’m still finding new tricks and am learning new ways to do things daily.  That keeps it fun!"


Do you usually work for customers?
"Prefer do it for you?  Recently I was able to show some of my work in the 2014 Handbuilt Motorcycle Show put on by Revival Cycles and Moto Guzzi in Austin Texas.  Since that show I’ve been constantly busy with doing work for other people from around the world.  I really enjoy working with people on their projects and am thankful for all of the new friends and connections I’ve made this past year.  I’ll still find some time here and there to do some sketches for myself though.  The big difference I’ve noticed between drawing for myself and for clients is that I feel much more fluid doing my own sketches.  It takes me longer to draw something for a client because I never feel it’s good enough and I get too caught up in the details.  When I’m drawing for myself I just let it flow.  I’m learning to get better with just letting it go when I do client work and to make sure I enjoy the process."


What is it the more difficult thing for create a sketch? 
"The inspiration, the technic, style of motorcycle,,,,,  This is another good question.  I think the most difficult part to starting a sketch is deciding on the medium to use for a client project (traditional or digital).  The inspiration is always there and no matter what kind of motorcycle I’m drawing I can always find a feature or component that is inspiring to draw.  I really do love drawing all types of bikes.  I haven’t had the chance to draw a scooter yet but I’d like to draw some of the early classics.  The technique can also be hard sometimes.  My style is intentionally loose and quick.  If I have to do a fine realistic rendering I can do it but I get bored easily.  I think that’s why I draw in the style I do.  Loose and quick so it keeps my attention!  Like I mentioned above, the hardest thing for me has always been getting past my own doubts about the art itself.  I never think a piece is good enough so I have trouble telling when I should stop.  I’m working on letting all of that go and just having fun.  I do my best work when I’m having fun and in the “zone”."

Any advice for the young designers?
"The only thing I would add is advice for any young designers or artist out there.  Keep working towards a goal even if it’s in small steps.  It might not happen immediately for you, it might take a year, 5 years, 10 years but keep pressing towards that goal.  It’s taken me awhile to get to this point and I’m not even close where I want to be yet.  I keep working with my eyes towards the bigger picture.  My biggest life lesson in the last year is to put yourself out there and don’t be afraid to ask.  Because I did those two things I’ve met some incredible people, learned a great deal and have done some things that I was only wishing I would be able to do only a year ago."

"DownShift Studio" Gallery
.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario